Plastic is light-weight, non-breakable, versatile, colorful, durable, long-lasting, airtight, and fun. That’s why the yogurt, milk, bread, cheese, meat, juice, tofu, and even the veggies we buy are wrapped or bagged in plastic.
While disposable plastics are taking their toll on the environment, durable, long-lasting plastics, made of polypropylene and polyethylene, fill an important need in our lives.
It’s true that some plastics, like PVC and polystyrene, have been shown to leach toxins, but not all plastics are evil.
In choosing a material for our Laptop Lunches Bento Boxes and Bento Buddies containers, we weighed the pros and cons of all available options. We could have used stainless steel or glass, but once the pros and cons had been tallied, one thing became crystal clear: plastic was the winner. And here’s why:
- Our containers last a very long time. Unlike stainless steel, they do not rust, dent, or break when dropped.
- Unlike glass and stainless steel, they are light-weight and easily portable.
- They hold up to the dishwasher, freezer and microwave.
- Plastic forms a tight seal, preventing seepage and leaks.
- Our bento containers are made in the USA, where we can closely monitor production. Manufacturing offshore in places like China and India makes it difficult to monitor factory compliance with material use, workplace safety, worker’s rights, and environmental protection laws. And our plastic doesn’t have to make the long journey across the ocean.
- Our plastic resin is made in the US. It’s not mined from the earth in countries such as India and China, where environmental protection laws are generally weaker than those in the US.
- Plastic is easily recycled.
- And it’s completely safe.
We are committed to providing a durable, long-lasting, convenient, affordable, and safe alternative to disposable plastics. We care deeply about our health and the health of our planet, which is why we chose plastic as the ideal bento box material.