Thursday, April 2, 2009
Mexican-inspired Rice Bowl
Love this recipe!
* Prepare 2 cups short-grain brown rice as directed.
* Prepare 2 cups black beans or pinto beans (canned or dried).
* Heat 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet.
* Add 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 coarsely chopped large onion, 1 sliced red bell pepper, and 1 sliced green bell pepper (and cabbage, broccoli, zucchini and mushrooms, if desired) and saute until pungent and tender.
* Season with juice from 1/2 lime and 1/2 tsp ground cumin.
* Prepare and set aside the following toppings: 1 avocado cut into bite-sized pieces, 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, 1 cup fresh shredded lettuce.
* Spoon some rice into each bowl.
* Top with beans and sauteed vegetables.
* Add the other toppings.
* Top generously with your favorite salsa and garnish with fresh diced mango if desired.