It’s safe to say that this summer has been brutally hot! Cool off on a vacation that’s overflowing with fun in the sun, outdoor adventure and new experiences! Check out these eco-friendly travel tips from Sierra Club National Outings to minimize the impact of your next vacation:
1. Low-impact activities – Exploring and enjoying the planet without leaving a large carbon footprint is easy when you focus on activities such as hiking, kayaking, nature walks, swimming, and snowshoeing.
2. Pack it In, Pack it Out – Everything you bring into the outdoors should leave with you. Plan meals carefully and repackage ingredients into reusable containers to minimize garbage. And if you see litter on the trail, pick it up!
3. Volunteer – Give back to the wild places you love on a service trip. You’ll work on a variety of rewarding tasks, like repairing trails and removing invasive plants, with plenty of time to relax.
4. Group transportation – If you’re driving, plan a carpool. Some national parks even offer shuttle or train access. When visiting an urban area, opt for public transportation. Mother Earth will thank you, and so will your wallet.
5. Be a force for change – Want to protect the places you visit after you return home? Visit the Sierra Club’s My Piece of America site to stay up-to-date on threats to our nation’s wild places and opportunities to help save them.
Feeling adventurous, but not sure where to go? Visit the My Piece of America web site and enter to win the Sierra Club Outings “End-of-Summer Sweepstakes!” The winner will receive two round-trip tickets to Florida, 6-night stay in the Everglades National Park and kayaking lessons!
Source: Sierra Club National Outings