These oatmeal bars so delicious and serve as a great alternative to many similar pre-packaged products found in the supermarket. Freeze some for future use. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3 cups whole oats
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup walnut oil
1 egg, beaten
3 tbs orange juice or water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine oatmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl and mix well.
2. In a separate bowl, combine honey, oil, egg, orange juice (or water), and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
3. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix again.
4. Using a spatula, press mixture firmly onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet, forming one large rectangle about 1/3 inch thick.
5. Smooth the edges with the edge of the spatula.
6. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes, until light brown and firm.
7. Remove from oven and cool.
8. Using a sharp knife, cut the large rectangle into smaller 1 1/2-inch by 3 1/2-inch rectangles.
9. Remove from cookie sheet and enjoy!
(Excerpted from: The Laptop Lunch User's Guide: Fresh Ideas for Making Wholesome, Earth-friendly Lunches Your Kids Will Love, by Amy Hemmert & Tammy Pelstring, Morning Run Press, 2002. Available online at www.laptoplunches.com.)