Thursday, February 19, 2009
Hearty Peanut Stew
Enjoy this delicious meal for dinner and save pack the leftovers for lunch!
* Prepare 1 cup cous cous or bulgur wheat as directed and set aside.
* In 3 tbs olive oil, saute until tender: 1 large clove crushed garlic, 2 cups cubed potatoes, 3 large sliced carrots, 2 cups sliced zucchini, okra or shredded cabbage, and 1 large coarsely chopped onion.
* Boil 4 cups water in a large sauce pan.
* Season with 2 tbs vegetable bouillon.
* Add 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes or 1 large can diced tomatoes.
* Add the sauteed vegetables.
* Add one can chick peas, drained.
* Mix 2/3 cup freshly ground peanut or cashew butter into 1 cup hot water and 1 tbs soy sauce and stir until smooth.
* Add the peanut butter mixture to the soup mixture and stir well.
* If you like it spicy, add some chopped jalapenos or spicy sambal. (optional)
* Spoon a serving of rice into each bowl.
* Top with the stew.
* Dig in!